Saturday, June 14, 2008

just too cool...

So, I'm in a small group that does Bible studies every week, and every now and then we organise daytrips or weekends away for the group. Because everyone's pretty busy this year, we decided to just have a daytrip/fun-activity, which was last Tuesday, and this is pretty much how we decided on a destination...

Let's go to Willowbank! [sarcastic] (Willowbank is a small zoo in Christchurch)
Hahaha! Yes! Let's go to the zoo! [sarcastic]
....
Well, why not?
[General consensus - we are going to the zoo]
Hahaha! Let's go dressed up as animals!
Hahahahahaha! [snorting] Yes, that would be funny!
...
Really, let's!
Yeah, it would be funny!

Only five of us ended up going; the rest couldn't get off work for the day, or, I suspect, were a little too insecure in their coolness to go to the zoo dressed up as animals. We, however, are so insanely cool that verily I believe we have started a trend. At least, all the mums and dads and little kids seemed to like us. And the zookeepers. The animals didn't really seem to care. Although I have a theory - in the kiwi house the cheetah and I were treated to a demonstration of kiwi procreation techniques. Surely they wouldn't feel comfortable enough to do that in front of normal people? A cheetah and a tiger, however...

Just so you can see with your own two eyes how cool we are:

Our cheetah poses. Look closely at the picture; I painted her face and I am very proud of it.
The bumblebee and the peacock. You cannot see it here, but our peacock had six peacock feathers stuck into the back of her belt. Very styly.
Our zebra.
Aaaaaand, me. To be honest, I'm not sure how cool this photo really is. But I am willing to risk humiliation for this blog.

Speaking of wildlife, I came across this white-tail spider in our kitchen last night...
Eeeeek! I don't like killing ones that big because you can feel them crunch. So I kept him in that glass, drove ten minutes away and let him go in a big field.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you did an awesome job on makeup & everyone who did that is very very cool

alexkhulme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E. said...

Oh.Myword. This is quite possibly the happiest thing since this morning's chocolate milk. Thank you for being you.

pilgrimchick said...

What a great day trip! It must have been so much fun. And props to you for driving that spider out so far to release him.

j said...

Wow! Your costumes are seriously impressive!

Unknown said...

beyond cool, lady! :) not to mention brave because there's no way i'd see a spider that big in my house and not move. pack up and hit the road. better yet, just leave everything behind because that thing is HUGE!!!

Trish Ryan said...

That's awesome! I'd need to be dressed up as a wild animal to handle a spider that size...you're very brave!!!

Stacy said...

You and your friends are just too hilarious. I love the zoo and am not afraid to admit to it.

That is one nasty spider. I hope we don't have those in Michigan.

LEstes65 said...

Ok - going to the zoo in animal garb = genius.

I have a size limit on what I'll squish, too. The other night, my son came out of a restaurant bathroom - business NOT taken care of. There was a big beetle in there. Ha - thinks I. I go in to squish it and ... maybe next time. It was big. Over 1 inch. And very large. My theory goes beyond the crunch, though. My theory borders on stupid. If it's that big, it might eat/poke/burn its way through the bottom of my shoe. Yah. I watch WAY too much TV.

Bonsai said...

dude that is awesome!!!!!!!!!! i love willowbanks its my favourite place in chch :) totally love the facepaint, amazing job all round there. ahh white-tails.. you let it go?!! but.. but.. what if it comes back??? next time just drop a brick on it or something! lol i cannot stand spiders. especially the ones that are poisonous pests.

Unknown said...

What an awesome idea! You guys looked cool and I am sure delighted many children who saw you.

Last month when I was visiting my five year-old granddaughter Kayelynn, who loves the zoo, she told me she wanted to dress up for Halloween at the zoo as Tinkerbell. I told her I wanted to go, too, and would dress up as a mermaid. She said:

"But grandma, you're going to need an awfully big costume."

From the mouths of babes...