Thursday, October 19, 2006

isn't life odd?




Reasons why life is weird and we are all weird:

1) This morning I found a crop circle in our marmite jar. (Cue spooky Twilight Zone music)

2) I also read on the back of my shampoo bottle: "Many scholars believe that the Pomegranate was the 'forbidden' fruit Eve tasted in the Garden of Eden." Yeah. Sure. The bottle also says "Wildly Exciting Is Our Normal!"

3) The other day someone walked up to me, went "Hiiiiii!", waved in my face as if I was their best buddy they hadn't seen for five years - and I have absolutely no idea who they were! I just kind of squinted at them for a very long five seconds before they realised I was completely bewildered and walked off.

4) I just saw an ad on TV that basically said, if you buy insurance from us, you will have a long, successful and fulfilling life - in words, not just implication! And I realised that basically every ad says this but I hardly ever notice it! Am I deconditioned and blind to manipulative advertising?

5) Before seeing this ad, I spent about ten minutes wondering in what environments does the past simple regular suffix become a whole extra syllable in English. It's driving me mad. I think it's only after a voiceless alveolar plosive... but I'm not sure. I just can't think of enough data. Quick, someone! Rescue me from Linguistics before it's too late! It's too fascinating!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Marmite is a yeast spread? Eww, Allie. While I'd like to get outside the US more, it's things like yeast spread that discourage me :D

Allie said...

Stacy, I know it doesn't sound great, but I am sure you'd love it! I love it so much, I have it every morning on my toast. It may be a slightly acquired taste but it's definitely better than most acquired tastes :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe, I'll see if I can order it on e-bay. You know, just to let you know that you're wrong. It is among the grosser of acquired tastes :D

Allie said...

Okay, well, let me know if you do, so I can coach you on the art of spreading Marmite. If you do it too thickly it will ruin the whole experiment. Better yet, come visit me!! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, but when I show up, remember you offered :D