Sunday, January 20, 2008

scanners are good

My dad has finally got a scanner, and I have been playing around all evening with family photos. I thought I'd share some - I love these, for me they capture all the romance and humour of another era. Enjoy!
My mum (right) and her two sisters at the beach in the fifties, with their first car.
Sigh... I wish I was a kid in the Victorian era... This is my great great grandfather, Ernest Schwass. Fortunate wee munchkin.
My great grandmother Nell. Her husband had a passion for photography. I love this. It's the sort of photo I can't do even with digital technology.
My great grandfather on his motorbike with Nell and daughter Betty (my gran's sister) in the sidecar. Styly.
My grandmother, Olive. She hates this photo and thinks it makes her look dowdy, but I think it's just so cute.
Gran (left) with her parents and Betty at the beach.
My gran's sister-in-law and her husband, Milly and Reg. This photo makes me wish I had met these people.
My mother (on right again) and her two sisters with Santa Claus. I think this is beautiful.
One of the coolest things tonight was finding out that somehow my great-great-great aunt on the female side looks almost exactly like me. Creepy!

I know Stacy decided against sharing family photos on her blog, but does anyone else have some cool ones that they could share without offending anyone?!

10 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I LOVE the picture of your great grandmother nell. I can't even imagine how that was done.

I don't have a lot of old family photos but there's one a few generations back of everyone looking really solemn in their Sunday clothes. Everyone was holding something & I couldn't figure out what it was until I got a magnifying glass. They were holding carrots. I don't know why. That may have been the only picture they ever got taken & they included carrots. Must've been related to me after all.

Anonymous said...

I love these!! Absolutey gorgeous!!

xox

Trish Ryan said...

These are fabulous! Next time I'm at my parents' house, I'll dig around for pics!

E. said...

Love every one---especially your great grandmother Nell. Is there more to that story? I so desperately want to hear it.

LEstes65 said...

We have sooooo many bins of photographs. I'm not even sure where the old family photos are. I'll find some, by gum. I will.

Barrie said...

These are delightful! I love the guests at the wedding shot. Great smiles!

Unknown said...

My dad's side of the family never smiles in pictures. Ever.

"Congratulations! You've won the lottery!" Nothing.

"Virginia's finally getting married!" Nothing.

I'll have to dig up a good family photo...

pilgrimchick said...

Those are great pictures. How incredible to actually see a part of your past in front of you like that. It must have been so much fun to look through those for the first time.

Stacy said...

How very fun! I love them!

j said...

Love that picture of the head on a platter! He was a talented man :)