Thursday, April 09, 2009

My Traumatic Near-Death Experience


So, about two weeks ago I started noticing that my hands were slightly blue at times, especially night-time. I remembered having problems with bad circulation and numbness in my hands causing the same problem back when I was 14 and had RSI in my arms, and assumed I must be coming close to getting RSI again. I showed my sister and brother-in-law, who are doctors, but they had no idea what was going on.

Imagine my horror when I got into the shower one night and noticed... MY THIGHS WERE BLUE!!! Great Scott, this can't be RSI! What dread disease have I?

Freaking out a little, I told my flatmates, who were just as mystified as me. I wasn't sure what to do but decided to leave it for a little while and if it continued, to visit a doctor and find out what life-threatening malady I suffered from.

Then, I noticed something about the white towel I had used that night - it had blue marks on it. Okay, so that can't be my skin turning blue or my blood turning blue or something if it rubs off, right?

And then I had my brainwave - NEW JEANS! Jeans, furthermore, which hadn't been washed yet at the time. Relief! The denim of my new jeans had left blue marks on me, and being bootlegged, had only affected my thighs. Silly me! Hahaha!

But still, my hands were bothering me. It was obviously a completely different issue. Besides, the blue on my hands didn't really wash off, or if it disappeared after washing, it was only because the hot water had heated my hands up.

Until I realised about a week later, when I gave my blue hands a really good scrubbing with cold water and the blue did come off, how much I pull my hands in and out of the pockets of my jeans... oh, oops. How embarrassing. Now my flatmates think I'm a hypochondriac and my sister and brother-in-law have another embarrassing story to bring up at family gatherings.

By the way - this happens to be my 500th post. :) That's quite a lot of them, really. Please ignore the first couple of hundred.

6 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

Glad to know that it's a fashion issue rather than a health issue! I've done that with jeans before...blue just isn't a color that should be on skin!

Sarakastic said...

Glad you are ok. I would've done the same thing. Happy 500th!

Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing. That's a great story!

Isn't the internet great? We can share the stories we'd be reluctant to admit in person. And people are actually willing to admit they've done something similar.

Stacy said...

Oh, and I love the picture you selected. :)

Beck said...

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME ONCE! I came to my husband, ashen, and pointed wordlessly at the dark blue marks all over my legs, and he pointed at my brand new jeans. Ha, us.

E. said...

This happens to me much too often---and I'm sure of fatal diseases every time.