Friday, July 20, 2007

babies

[ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS A PHOTO OF A PARTICULARLY GORGEOUS BABY HERE - but I feel sure now that this would definitely break the strict censorship my brother-in-law has over who gets to see pictures. Sorry!]

Babies are:
1. Scary. What if they don't like you? What if you drop them and they are scarred for life? What if you feed them the wrong thing? What if they just won't stop crying? Oh the responsibility!

2. Smelly. Especially after vomiting three times. Enough said.

3. Noisy. In this particular case, especially when having their nappies changed or having a bath or in the middle of the night (I have earplugs, to be fair, and she has actually slept through the night three times in a row since I've been here - amazing, apparently).

But (and this basically cancels out all the bad stuff):

4. Insanely cute. I defy anyone to frown when a baby is laughing.

5. Fun to play with.

6. Amazing to watch. This one is just about to learn to crawl, besides other things, and it's incredible to watch her slowly grasping how to do something.

In other news, tonight I joined a recorder quartet which has now become a quintet. So much fun! We are playing really meaty music and they are all really, really good. I'm not bad enough that I find it scary, but it's exactly challenging enough. We have a concert in September!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I agree with all of the above. Ruby is just darling!

Anonymous said...

I second that, Ruby is one cute kid. It's not her fault that babies are scary. (I am scared of them too, just way too much responsibility & supposedly they don't understand sarcasm until they are 5 which just means everything I say until then is just emotionally scarring)

John said...

What about babies like Stewie Griffin from Family guy?

LEstes65 said...

Oh my goodness that is one adorable baby!! The bipolar feelings one has for their children is mind boggling. I have held my screaming cholicky baby and had thoughts like, I could just toss him out the window... And other times, I have hugged that same baby close, smelled the sweet scent of the top of his head and just started crying from the sheer miracle of him.

Now mine are 3 and 7 and a whole new realm of pros and cons. And I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

But seriously, that is one cute baby!!!