Monday, March 19, 2007

the hills are alive


I've been thinking lately that my life should be more fun. To tell the truth, getting high marks and saving money isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm pretty sure I won't lie on my deathbed thinking, "well, at least I got an A on my HIST369 essay in 2007!" (Not that I wouldn't mind having an A, or preferably an A+, on my approaching essay, two weeks away and counting.) I must be the most boring student in the world. But then, I don't really like alcohol or sports, and I plan not to have sex, and it doesn't seem like fun students do much else. So my latest scheme for fun is this:

A singalong Sound of Music!! I will invite all my friends and vague acquaintances who are as silly as me, and we will dress up in crazy costumes, drink pink lemonade, and sing along with Maria and Christopher Plummer and Liesl and Kurt-the-Hitler-Youth-guy and the Reverend Mother, with our hands on our hearts. I went to a commercially organised one of these a few years ago and it was a blast. It was at a big theatre in town, and there were small, cute children who were Marta and Gretel, there were huge numbers of nuns, there were grown, probably drunk men wearing fake plastic breasts and deer antlers (...doe, a deer... naturally...), there were brown paper packages tied up with string, and lonely goatherds. We all sang along at the top of our voices. When Maria sits in her room on the first night, wondering how to get play clothes for the children, we all shouted, "Maria! The curtains! Look behind you!" When Maria and Captain von Trapp kiss, we let off party poppers and cheered. Whenever a Nazi came on, we hissed. When we sang 'How do you solve a problem like Maria?', we had a whole routine to match it, including added words such as a flibbertigibbet, a will'o the wisp, a clown HONK HONK!

Of course the entry requirements for the evening will be that you have to be a real fan of The Sound of Music. The whole thing could flop miserably if half the people there don't really know the songs and feel a bit stupid about it anyway.

I am going to sit down and watch The Sound of Music through, and make notes about all the things we can do, or eat, or sing. Does anyone have any ideas???

4 comments:

LEstes65 said...

Oh now that is WAY unfair that you're holding this shindig so far away from Texas! I would LOVE to do that. When I was 17 and taking voice lessons (I'm pretty sure this was during the dark ages some time), I sang 'Climb Every Mountain' for a recital. Love that song. My voice teacher wouldn't let me wear a habit, however. Dullard. But I love that movie. LOVE it. You'll have to take this party on a world tour and when you stop in Austin, Texas? I'll be there!!! I'll be the one in a habit singing 'Climb Every Mountain' at the top of her lungs.

Stacy said...

You'll be taking pictures, right? :)

Allie said...

lestes65: My friend's choir once did a fantastic rendition of Hail Holy Queen from Sister Act where they started off wearing habits and then ripped them off for the jazzy part. Coooooool.

Stacy: You bet. :D

Bonsai said...

i'm coming!!!!!!! so when??