Thursday, March 22, 2007

moral dilemma


This morning I went to buy myself a much needed trim fair trade flat white to go (I have fun saying that, and just about as much fun typing it) at Cafe 101, on campus. I waited for my coffee, put a lid on it, and turned to go, when someone barrelled into me by mistake, knocking me backwards, with an "oh my gosh, sorry!" My coffee was safe... but my large and heavy backpack swung round and knocked some poor, caffeine-deprived woman, causing her to spill half her latte all over the floor. Now - this was not my fault, obviously, but the woman turned to me with a scowl and a very loud and angry "watch-where-you're-going!" and proceeded to tell me to clean up the mess in a schoolteacher voice. I was a bit stunned by this, it being early in the morning, and so quietly began cleaning it up - and the person who had caused the accident in the first place helped me, which was nice. But I felt very embarrassed and a little bit annoyed that I got yelled at in front of large queues of coffee addicts for something that was not my fault, although to be fair the woman didn't know it wasn't me. Was this rude behaviour, or was it her prerogative to yell at someone who spilt half her latte? I still haven't quite decided. Oh, the difficulty of assessing moral grey areas. :)

In other news, I find it quite funny that one of my sisters, who lives in Auckland and is off on a jetsetting trip to Malaysia and Thailand for the next three weeks, has begged me to tape Grey's Anatomy, ER and Boston Legal for her while she's gone. Not that I can judge, of course. I have been absolutely shockingly addicted to TV the last few weeks. Mainly because by the time I get home my brain is so frazzled by academia that in my considered scientific opinion the best thing for it is to fill it with fluff. If I was in a women's magazine I would call it my secret shame. I have been watching Desperate Housewives, Men in Trees, Ugly Betty, ER, Grey's Anatomy, America's Next Top Model (it's addictive!!), Shark, Antiques Roadshow, Top Gear and Thank God You're Here. Somebody save me! Hey, but then - at least I don't watch American Idol (except in the ad breaks) ! Yes, we get it here! It's everywhere!

Almost forgot - I am soon to be a jetsetter too. Well, not quite, I'm only going as far as Australia. But the tickets are now officially bought and it is really going to happen!! I am leaving Christchurch for Auckland on 13 July, and spending the weekend there with my sister. Then, on 15 July I am off to Perth, Australia, for a whole semester. This is going to keep me going right up until June, I should think.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I see no gray area myself. She's rude. No caffeine deprivation excuses yelling at strangers and ordering them around. I'm sorry the latte went on the floor instead of on her.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when people don't know i'm royalty. This is when you say, You don't know who I am, I'm ellesappelle beloved by all!

LEstes65 said...

Ok - moral dilemma - I think you were wonderful to do what you did. I have been that angry woman and have had to eat crow when someone not as nice as you made me eat said helping of crow. So, when I am bumped, shoved, etc, I try REALLY hard to make sure I understand how and why. I'm sure I've still snapped here and there. But I've been both you and the angry woman. I think you are a great example of humility and grace in your actions. And I understand the frustration it caused. But know that your actions were noticed by The One that matters.

TV addiction - you deserve the brain candy. I work in IT and have to do mental acrobatics all day. When I'm done, I want to shut off the brain and entertain my eyes. My DVR is filled with Desperate Housewives, Rome, The L Word, 30 Rock, Shark & American Idol. During this lent season (I call it 40 Days of Faith), I am fasting from a couple of things. One is limiting my TV intake to one show a night. For me, hard. And my DVR is getting full!

Enjoy your trip!!!

j said...

She was definately a bit out of control in yelling at you. Even if it had been your fault, there's no excuse for losing your temper like that. I'm sure everyone else in the "queue" was thinking she was a bit nutso for flying off the handle like that. Seriously, some people...

Allie said...

Stacy: great!

Sara: Now why didn't I say that?

lestes65: Thanks! I'm glad to hear other people are as addicted to TV as I am!

Jenkneebee: I'm glad you think everyone else thought she was nutso too instead of thinking I was clumsy or stupid!!

Bonsai said...

i agree with all them. but i thought i'd say, to explain areas of grey, ask yourself "WWJD"? i dont think He would have snapped at you somehow lol.
luv ya
ling to the lay...