Wednesday, March 28, 2007

October 30... day of infamy...


So, Stacy's tagged me to do this birthday meme. It involves typing your date of birth into google (which, in my case is 30 October)! Pretty simple really, so here goes:

List three events that happened that day
1) 1938 - Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells's War of the Worlds, causing a nationwide panic. I'd never heard of this before but thought it rather amusing!
2) 1961 - Due to "violations of Lenin's precepts", it is decreed that Josef Stalin's body be removed from its place of honour inside Lenin's tomb and buried near the Kremlin wall with a plain granite marker instead. Given my interest in Soviet Russia, this seemed a good choice for an event.
3) 2005 - The rebuilt Dresden Frauenkirche (destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden during World War II) is reconsecrated after a thirteen-year rebuilding project. And I just thought this was kinda cool.

List two important birthdays
1) 1821 - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Russian writer. Hooray! I had thought for years that no one cool was born on my birthday. But there could be nothing cooler than sharing a birthday with Dostoevsky, in my humble, literature-student opinion.
2) 1885 - Ezra Pound, American poet. That's a little bit cool too, but not quite as cool as Dostoevsky.

List 1 death
1968 - Rose Wilder Lane. I chose her because she was literally the only person on the list whose name I knew. Is it right to be depressed that no one amazingly important has died on your birthday?

List a holiday or observance
International Orthopaedic Nurses Day. Part-ay! The other option was 'Mischief Night' in the USA.

Well, maybe this post doesn't quite live up to the promising title. So sue me.

I am about the most tired I have been since ever right now. I am pushing myself very hard at uni and with my tutoring and so on and I'm wondering how long I can keep it up. It is the first time ever that I have drunk about five large caffeine-sodden drinks in one day without feeling any effects whatsoever except the unwanted ones. Please tell me I'm not alone! Actually, don't do that. I want to be the only busy person in the world so that I can gripe as much as I like and everyone else will only look at me admiringly and whisper to each other about how hard-working and humble I am. I think that will be another law in my tyrannical dictatorship. Never be busier than Allie, or it's the gulag for you.

5 comments:

LEstes65 said...

My b-day is 10 days before yours. I like to say I was born in ROCKtober. A leftover joke from my days as a singer.

I took a quick poll and confirmed that, indeed, you ARE the only busy person in the world and can therefore gripe as much as you want. But since you're the High Tyrannical Dictator, that's your right by law. Excuse me as I stand here and look at you admiringly, whispering to my other selves about how hard-working and humble you are.

Stacy said...

My, Allie! Your graphics have been very cheerful lately!

I wish I was born on International Orthopaedic Nurses Day, and no, of course I am not as busy as you. You are what my former roommate would call a "busy beaver." (If you don't mind being compared to a small mammal with bad teeth, that is.)

I think you can get the original War of the World radio broadcast on CD or tape. Very dramatic stuff.

Jessi said...

Nooooooooo! NOT THE GULAG!!!

j said...

You definately win for the busiest person I know. Including real life and the internet :) Go Allie!

Allie said...

Lestes65: haha! Rocktober! I never thought of that before. :)

Stacy: So I like graveyards! What's wrong with that?!

Jessica: That's right! You'd better watch out!

Jenkneebee: That's a very good start. I think I'll promote you from Humble Serf to be High Tyrannical Dictator's personal assistant or the like.