Wednesday, February 11, 2009

all grown up

I have moved out of home - GASP!

I am now a resident of Number X, XXX Street, along with four other girls - should be an interesting year! Surprisingly, I am having a lot of fun. I thought I would take a lot of adjusting, having to share the one shower with four other people, being around so many people all the time, after it just being me and Dad for several years now. But it's fine. I suspect all that will come later - what joy is in store for me!

I'm already a bit on edge, though. I used to live in the sleepiest neighbourhood in which I am sure there is not even a whiff of crime; suddenly I am pitchforked into the big bad suburb of Ilam, where professional robbers target student flats because students are usually at uni during the daytime and because there are usually several things like multiple laptops for the taking. Yesterday, one of the girls was home alone and someone knocked on the door. As she came to answer it, she saw a man through the window, but when she opened it, he was heading out onto the street. Suspicious? Creepy? I THINK SO! So today I was paranoid about not leaving the house unless someone else was here to make sure we don't have any scary robbers breaking in, and very, very soon I am going to get myself contents insurance.

On a more positive note, it is a whole lot of fun arranging my new room. I have a really big room that used to be a lounge, and apart from its one drawback (no storage eg wardrobe), it's GREAT having room to move, for the first time in five years! I was thinking maybe a paddling pool in the big space of carpet in the middle of the room? or fill the middle of the room ankle-deep with plastic balls, like at those playgrounds? Any more space-using suggestions, anyone? After all, I wouldn't want to be wasteful.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on the new place! it's always exciting to start something new. but be careful out there--creepies are everywhere.

i suggest using space vertically. shelves that go as high as you can keeps stuff off the floor. good luck!

Anonymous said...

Congrats girl!! You will have so much fun in your own place. And I'm all about filling space with shoe-boxes, full of shoes. Helpful? Eh, prolly not. ;o)

xox

Stacy said...

Congratulations!

And yes, the paddling pool is necessary. Be sure to refer to it as "the hot tub."

j said...

Congratulations! In college I "lofted" my bed using cinder blocks. Very classy, I know, but it gave me a ton of room to put stuff under there.

Sarakastic said...

I did the same thing as Jen but referred to it as my princess bed because it was impossibly high.

Congrats! Also, I hope you don't get robbed. There's something you'll never see on a greeting card.

LEstes65 said...

Wow! Congratulations and may this be an awesome and fun time!!!