Friday, December 24, 2004

I, Blob

I feel fat and unfit today. It is largely due to the fact that I met an eerily sprightly 62-year-old last night. We are moving soon (which you will probably hear more about in time because I am not happy about it) and so we were invited around to our neighbour's house yesterday evening along with some other people on our street. One of them was this particular woman. She was telling us about this wonderful cafe which is about 45 minutes' drive away. She and her husband biked to it and it was closed, so they just went over Gebbies Pass, over to Lyttleton, over the hill again to Sumner, the beach, and then back home. This is honestly a LONG bike ride. It would take about three hours by car. And she's this little oldish lady. And I bike about ten minutes down the road and am already wheezing and I'm eighteen. Go figure.

Then she told us that the other morning she decided to go for a bike before work, and she went up the Rapaki Track on the hills and then biked to Sumner and then biked back. Just about ten minutes before she arrived back, she caught up with some racing cyclists, you know, with the special bikes and costumes and stuff, and just stayed biking behind them. They kept on turning round as if they couldn't believe she was still behind them, and she told them they were going too slow.

It's just so scary. I know for a fact that when I'm 62, I'll be snuggled up in a plush armchair all day, eating chocolates and telling everyone how fit I was when I was young. :) Well, maybe not, but still I think the extent of my exercise in the distant future will be going for walks by the river.

Well, Christmas is tomorrow. I'm going to Carols by Candlelight tonight which should be nice. I just remembered I forgot to eat the chocolate from my advent calendar today so I'd better go and do that now. Heh heh all you Europeans and Americans, Christmas comes sooner for me than for you, and warmer too. I'm celebrating at the beach this year.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Ho ho ho!

No comments: