Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Thoughts for today

So... having a good holiday? That is, if you don't have to work somewhere like a restaurant or a clothes shop. This must be a rather nightmarish season for you, if so. I've been on holiday for a while now but it's not actually that great a thing because I have no money! I've got a little bit, of course, from my VERY part-time job, but what with spending money on everyone else and then wanting to spend it on myself what with post-Christmas sales, it doesn't seem quite adequate. :) Oh well. Soon enough I'll get myself a job and then I'll be really annoyed I didn't appreciate the spare time while I had it.

I've decided that I'm going to try and get into as many tourists' photos from now on, because then some may compare photos and think "Hey! That crazy girl at Cathedral Square! She tried to ruin my photos too!!" Then I'll be famous - in a very Q-list way. However, my theory is that if I'm famous in as many tiny ways as possible, I'll soon become a household name, although nobody will know that I'm a household name in any other household than their own!! It's a completely brilliant plan! (As Elle says in Legally Blonde.)

My mother has succumbed to temptation and there is nothing Dad can do. Mum has bought a DVD player. Only $100 because of Boxing Day sales. Half price. A bargain. I am celebrating. My brother brought me a bunch of pirated DVDs from Malaysia and I haven't had a chance to view them yet.

Which makes me sad because I've just remembered the horrible disaster in Asia. We were really worried at first because of my brother in Penang and the newspaper said about thirty people had been swept off the beach there, and we know he and his wife and kids often go down to the beach on Sunday afternoons. But he emailed us pretty early and they're fine. But I wonder... sometimes I worry about myself... would I have really thought about it very much at all if my brother wasn't in the general vicinity of the disaster? It's probably good for me to connect someone like me with these disasters in places that are so different to New Zealand. 21,500 confirmed dead, the paper said this morning, and it's probably much more than that too. That's a heck of a lot of people. And then how may people have been seriously injured, how many have had their livelihoods ruined, and so on? It seems kind of unfair that something like that had to hit places like Indonesia and stuff that are already not exactly rich.

No comments: