Wednesday, December 13, 2006

five favourite Christmas songs


I've been tagged by Stacy, so...

my Five Favourite Christmas songs are (if I manage to restrain myself to five):

1. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - screw feminism, I love the tune.

2. Mary's Boy Child

3. A Pukeko in a Punga Tree - yay for New Zealand!

4. O Holy Night

5. Ding Dong Merrily on High

Honourable mentions go to: Little Drummer Boy, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Te Harinui, Good King Wenceslas, The First Noel, and the Cradle carol (the really old obscure one that goes 'lullay lully thou little tiny child'). If I were to choose a modern carol I like... can't remember the name but it's set in New York and sung by Irish people!! I'm sure there's some more I've forgotten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I've never heard #2 or #3 on your list. I think I know song #5.

Allie said...

#2 is a very cool carol. I think it's probably a more modern carol but it still sounds like a proper carol and not something they'd play on the radio along with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", ugh.

I wouldn't expect you to know #3. It's a really corny NZ version of A Partridge in a Pear Tree... ie, "5 big fat pigs, 4 huhu grubs, 3 flax kits, 2 kumara, and a pukeko in a punga tree..." etc etc.

#5 is the one that's fun to sing because you get to go "Glo-o-o-o-o-o-......o-o-o-o-ria, Hosanna in Excelsis" in the chorus!

Anonymous said...

LOVE #1 & #4. I'll have to check out #2 & #3 though. Never heard of them either.

Anonymous said...

Nice choices there--I like the Christmas carols that are a little "off the beaten path" myself. I'd have to give my favorite off to "The Holly and the Ivy", though--maybe it's because it isn't run over and over on the radio, say, ever.