Sunday, January 29, 2006

my lovely stroll



This afternoon I decided to go for a walk. I was going to go for a big walk around some of the Summit Road, which is basically on the rim of the extinct volcano I mentioned the other day. You get a fantastic view of Lyttleton Harbour and I was all ready to go when I stepped outside and noticed how hot it is. There is absolutely no shelter from the sun up there. So, being sensible and a bit too lazy, I decided to walk along the river near where I used to live, instead. (There happens to be a very good cafe there as well!) It's really pretty along there, and it's almost all shady, so perfect on a day like this. And I took my digital camera and all inspired by Patty's gorgeous photos of baby deer, decided I was going to try and take wildlife photos as well. Until--as I skipped happily along the woodland track, admiring the little ducklings in the river and the chirruping of crickets and the birdsong floating from the trees--a huge rat suddenly pranced across the track ahead of me.

I am proud to say that I did not scream. However, it did take away any desire I had to walk along the track anymore. Luckily I'd already walked a fair way and taken a few photos to prove I'd been there, so I had no qualms going back to the car as quickly as possible.

Yuck! I can't help shuddering. I hate rats. I've never actually seen one in Christchurch before. The last time I saw a wild one was in Bangkok; a huge, black, filthy beast climing out of the gutter. Eugh.

Happily, on the way back, I admired some more ducklings, bought some lilies (there's always some sort of produce--usually berries or flowers--for sale along that road in summer), and stopped to watch a huge convoy of old cars driving past on their monthly club trip/parade/thing. I think they all drive from Halswell to the beach and have a big barbecue there. It makes me want to get a styly old car. I tried to take photos of them, but the digital camera didn't really behave--it always took too long to actually take the photo, and then even longer for the screen to readjust. I think I'd better take my normal film camera in future whenever I want to capture moving things.

I'm still going to go up on the Summit Road track. I just think that I'll do it in the evening one day. Maybe just before sunset.

1 comment:

Patty said...

The photos here are great! I love how the water looks in the duck photo. Proud to be someone's inspiration, but I am inspired by YOU.

Get over the rat thing. I don't like rats either, but unless it's trying to crawl on me, I'm not going to worry about it. Even if it did, I'd fling it off and go on. Just ignore it and focus on taking photos.

Photography has pushed my boundaries and continues to do so. I've been doing things I've never done before. I would do something I wouldn't normally do, just to get a photo. Passion will drive you to do things you never imagined you'd be doing.