Tuesday, January 10, 2006

recommended reading

Good books I have been reading this summer:
Persuasion, by Jane Austen
Zorro, by Isabel Allende
The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde
Lost In A Good Book, by Jasper Fforde
Jetlag Travel Guides: Molvania
Venetia, by Georgette Heyer
The Case For Faith, by Lee Strobel
A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby
The Ordinary Princess, by M. M. Kaye

There you have it. Some new ones for me, some well-loved. All enjoyed thoroughly. Some serious, some the opposite, but I would recommend all. I meant to read more for my Eighteenth Century Novel course this year but started Moll Flanders and got so bogged down in the first five pages that haven't picked it up again. What is even less tempting: Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment for my Nineteenth Century Russian Novel course. I used to want to read Anna Karenina lots, but then my sister told me what happens at the end by mistake and it completely drowned any urge I had originally.

I enrolled for varsity today. In my first semester I will be doing:
ENGL203 The Eighteenth Century Novel (off the top of my head, some of the books we'll be doing are Moll Flanders, Northanger Abbey, Lorna Doone...)
ENGL220 Creative Writing: Short Fiction (yay, got into this, a limited class of 24)
HIST274 The Soviet Experiment and its Aftermath
I wanted to do a Linguistics course in Syntax but didn't have enough space.
In my second semester, I will be doing:
HIST239 War and Society 1900-1945
RUSS215 The Nineteenth Century Russian Novel (Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, as before)
LING207 Phonetics and Phonology (yay!)
ENGL115 Childhood in Children's Literature (decided to do this, as last year it was a second year course and I was really looking forward to doing it, and then they changed it to a first year course, so hopefully I'll be able to manage a fourth paper)

No comments: